darlingbooks

darlingbooks

Need

Need - Carrie Jones I really, really enjoyed Need. I was grinning and clutching my heart for at least half of the book - it just sucked me in and refused to let me go until I was completely in love.

Need is a book about pixies - but there is also a lot more supernatural stuff going on in it. I don't want to spoil the surprise (although Jones gives plenty of hints along the way.) Unlike Evernight, the surprise just made me love the book more. I literally jumped on my bed squeeing "I knew it!" when it came around!

Need has been compared to Twilight in many reviews. While I can see the similarity - new girl in a small, cold town discovers there is more to the world than what she sees - the difference is it the protagonist Zara. Although Zara is far from perfect. Her father's death traumatised her into becoming pretty darn terrified of everything. She is extremely compassionate - she takes action to stop suffering, writes letters for Amnesty International, and genuinely cares about those suffering around the world.

The reason Need didn't get 5 stars from me? The mechanical climax. Some of the characters veered too far out of character in order to get the plot moving. Even though Jones came up with a fascinating way to wrap up the plot, I wish she had been able to keep all the characters in tune with their previous behaviour. It was a bit of a let down.

Bottom line? Need is a beautiful book - classy writing, a stunning setting and believable characters. Need is a definite must for all YA fans!