darlingbooks

darlingbooks

The Forest of Hands and Teeth

The Forest of Hands and Teeth - Carrie Ryan The Forest of Hands and Teeth is a beautiful, terrifying book. I completely understand why people are so enamoured with Carrie Ryan's writing! It is elegant, poetic and well, frankly, gorgeous. This book swallowed me whole and didn't let go until I'd finished the whole thing.

The world Ryan creates is simply terrifying. Actually, the entire book is one long nightmare. It is a cross between The Handmaid's Tale (by Margaret Atwood) and The Village (film by M. Night Shyamalan) - only with zombies. Scary stuff, especially for a wimp like me!

Unfortunately I was unable to relate to any of the main characters in this book. I didn't actively dislike any of them, but I did often felt their personal dramas were an annoying distraction from the action. The romantic triangle in the book had a lot of tell-no-show aspects - referencing feelings from before the book began. It was disappointing, but probably for the best - true love can't last long during a zombie apocalypse!

Bottom Line? The Forest of Hands and Teeth haunting book. I'd recommend it to older teens and adults - especially those who don't pick up "genre" books. Ryan has a way of making a book about zombies into a book about everything but zombies.