darlingbooks

darlingbooks

Old Magic

Old Magic - Marianne Curley Old Magic is really damn hard to review. Because although it had a lot of elements in it that were enjoyable, it was ultimately a let down.

The main character Kate and Jarrod were relatively enjoyable, but not all that well developed. In fact, Jarrod's main character trait was his extraordinary cowardice. Sure, that was entertaining and believable for about 100 pages - but after a while I wanted to slam his head into something hard. Because of his utter lack of spine, I found Kate's attraction to him rather peculiar.

Despite that, I really enjoyed the first half of the novel. It is set in a sleepy town surrounded by woodlands. The atmosphere was rather dark and magical - reminding me of Need and Shiver in many parts. But then, half way through the book Kate and Jarrod time-travel back 1000 years.

Er, what? No! Take me back to that mysterious little town!

That was pretty much my only thought for the rest of the book. Curley introduces us to a dozen new characters, some rather over-the-top villians and some rather drawn-out plot. I don't really have a problem with time-travelling in books - I just would rather it be the sole focus of the novel. Instead, I felt like I had been tossed into the poorly made sequel to the first half of the book. One where they had to recast the leads because the script was so bad...

Bottom line? Curley is a very believable writer. And while I was disappointed with Old Magic, I shall be picking up some of her other books in the near future.