darlingbooks

darlingbooks

Wicked Lovely

Wicked Lovely - Melissa Marr Wicked Lovely was, without a doubt, one of the most unique YA books I have read. First of all, there's the universe. I was a bit nervous about the idea of faeries and was pleasantly surprised. Marr does not gloss over any of the horrors commited by faeries in traditional texts, and even encourages them by beginning each chapter with a quote about faery exploits. It was all appropriately horrific and enchanting.

Then there is the romance. Marr breaks the soul-mate stereotype I usually read in YA, and instead allows the people you love to be the ones you choose. Just because someone is destined to be the love of your life does not mean they are going to be!

Something else I appreciated was the realism of the (non-explicit) sex scenes. It is reassuring to read about a character - with an interesting sexual history - getting tested for STDs and waiting 6 months to ensure their accuracy. Perhaps that doesn't sound romantic, but it was an absolutely heart-stealing scene.

Bottom line? Excellent read for young adults and adults alike - and a must it you are a fantasy fan!