darlingbooks

darlingbooks

Green-Eyed Demon

Green-Eyed Demon - Jaye Wells It's no secret that I am a fan of Jaye Wells - a big fan. This woman can make me laugh and cry and squee in delight, I love her. Green-Eyed Demon was fantabulous: lots of snarky dialogue by characters that I have grown to adore. It was not quite as strong as the first two books in the series, but I blame that on the fact that I read it on my computer... and I never love things I read on a computer. It's my reading equivalent of watching a film on a plane - distracting and unpleasant. So that I loved it as much as I did? Pretty impressive.

Sabina is still as kick-ass as ever, although she has really grown since the first time we met her. Her first instinct is to killkillkill, but she is gradually starting to get that under control. She also takes quite a few "grown-up" decisions regarding her relationship with Adam. I am so proud of this chick for getting her act together while still remaining true to herself. However, there were a few times when I felt like the development was a bit too explicit: Sabina would compare "Old Sabina" to "New Sabina" and my eyes would glaze over in boredom. *sigh*

But Wells takes strides developing Adam and Maisie. They seemed to have it all in the first two books, but the events of Green-Eyed Demon will spark a profound change both of them. I can't wait to see what Wells does with them in the next book, Silver-Tongued Devil. I am so glad that her series was extended another two books and can't wait to see what she has in store for us!

I also adored the New Orleans setting in this book - drag queens, voodoo . I adore New Orleans - y'all probably don't know, but I was born in the city and a bit of me never left. Jaye Wells just gets the deep south in a way that I didn't think a non-Southerner could (sorry Ms. Wells, but Texas doesn't quite count). If you love the Sookie Stackhouse books and you will love this installment of the Sabina Kane series.

Above all, it's the humour which makes this series stand out. Jaye Wells is as snarky and flat-out hysterical as she's ever been - mocking Twilight, making some kick-ass Star Trek references, giving a brief glimpse at a funny-yet-crazy-disturbing orgy, and giving demon!cat! Giguhl some lines that you will want to draw hearts over.

Bottom line? Sakina Kane still kicks some serious ass. Wells' frank, tell-it-like-it-is style will have you chomping at the bits for more.