darlingbooks

darlingbooks

Ghost Town

Ghost Town - Rachel Caine I really cannot believe I am writing a non-glowing-verging-on-negative review for a Morganville book. This series has consistently been one of my favourite reads - I thought that there could be no such thing as a bad Morganville book. But after reading Ghost Town, I remembered the problems I had with the first book in the series (Glass House). Namely, it just didn't make me care about the characters.

Claire and the gang are, as usual, in the midst of another action-packed drama - this time centred around Claire and Mrynin's experimental new machine. Now, that should make my knees turn to jelly, because a) I am head-over-heels in love with Myrnin, and b) I absolutely adore the Claire/Myrnin relationship. And yet their dynamic in this book is pretty much centred around Ada - which was just one of those characters I wish Caine would drop already. Seeing Myrnin - of all people - so love-crazy (instead of regular crazy) just annoyed me. There were a few scenes between them at the start of the book that I loved, but then it was all downhill.

Same goes for Amelie and Oliver - usually two kick-ass characters who seemed to spend this book going on and on about their unbelievable emotional angst. Not to mention the fact that they have been having the same argument about Morganville for nine books. Every time they brought it up, my eyes would start to glaze over. I get it already! Geez.

As for the Glass House residents, I have been growing less and less attached to them with each book. Shane/Claire used to make my heart pitter-patter, and now I feel like skipping through all their lovey-dovey business. I guess they've reached that point in their relationship where the camera would usually fade to black and display a "happily ever after" banner. It's great for them, but not so interesting for us readers. Not that I want angst, per say, but some kind of development would be nice.

Bottom line? Depressing instalment to a great series. I remain a fan, but have lost my faith in the series.