darlingbooks

darlingbooks

Betrayals

Betrayals  - Lili St. Crow, Lilith Saintcrow I have such mixed feelings about the Strange Angels series. Don't get me wrong, I love the books. Dru is probably the most depressing teenager ever, but her stubborness and strength are really inspiring. I love how she is still grieving her father's death from the first book - and her mother's death as a child. I love the universe, filled with werewolves, dhampirs and vampires constantly at each other's throats.

St. Crow's universe is violent and gothic, and utterly immersive. I read this book in a single day - I just couldn't put it down. We learn so much more about the dangers Dru is facing - from enemies she didn't even know she had. We also find out a lot more about her troubling new powers, how Graves is dealing with his new transformation and we get a bit of Christophe's fascinating background.

But I have some trouble with the love triangle. When it comes to the whole Graves/Dru/Christophe thing, I have a feeling that I'm on the losing side of the love triangle. A.k.a. the "I don't want to see Dru with either of them" side.

Okay, sure, if I had to choose: Team Christophe all the way. But that's because I find him hot - seriously hot - and not because I think he is right for Dru. As for Graves, I really have trouble seeing him as anything more than just a friend. A totally awesome friend, but just a friend.

Unfortunately the non-epic romance and the shortage of Christophe meant Betrayals lost the edge that Strange Angels had. Nevertheless, I can't wait to read Jealousy (which has an epically terrible cover) and hope to get some bloody answers in it!

Bottom line? Filled with supernatural violence, a grieving teen, and a serious ammount of political intrigue - Betrayals is a great book. And hopefully you'll find yourself choosing sides in the romance - I'm sure the book is more enjoyable when you aren't trying to fasten a chastity belt onto the heroine.