darlingbooks

darlingbooks

Chain Reaction

Chain Reaction - Simone Elkeles I really enjoyed the first books in this trilogy, Perfect Chemistry and Rules of Attraction - they were extremely readable books that starred some surprisingly fleshed out characters. And while Chain Reaction was certainly readable, it's characters were some of the most one-dimensional I've read in a long while. In fandom, we would have called this book "crack" - the kind of story that is just so unbelievably terrible, and is yet extremely addictive. The one where Spock is pregnant with Uhura's lovechild and decides to run away on the TARDIS. This was that kind of story.

None of the new characters in this book made a lick of sense: Luis is a "good boy", but spend the last 50 or so pages oscillating between crazy and crazy with love of violence. While Nikki... ick. I don't even want to get into her. This girl had zero character and was completely defined by a traumatic experience. While I kinda "get" why Elkeles might want to traumatize her characters, you've got to give me more than just that if you want me to actually like them. *stabs them both*

Seriously, if it hadn't been such a fan of Rules of Attraction, I would never have finished this thing.

Bottom line? Disappointing ending to an otherwise entertaining series; Perfect Chemistry's Breaking Dawn, if you will.

2.5 stars