darlingbooks

darlingbooks

Dead as a Doornail

Dead as a Doornail - Charlaine Harris I am an ex-True Blood fan. While I am grateful for the series as it got me to pick up the Sookie Stackhouse series, I don't watch it any more. It is brash and crass and just a bit too crazy - qualities that are fantastic in the short term, but painful after 4 long years.

But the Sookie books are nothing like True Blood - a fact that always comes to me as a shocking realisation whenever I pick up a new Sookie book. Dead as a Doornail is just like its predecessors: sweet, comforting and very Southern. If these books were food, they'd be a series of Red Velvet cupcakes... providing serious southern comfort while looking like blood.

Yup. Sookie Stackhouse novels = literary equivalent of Red Velvet.

So, of course, Dead as a Doornail was a pleasure to read. I curled up with it and was happy reading about both Sookie's car troubles and her weird paranormal problems. It was a sweet, escapist read - and I will certainly be reading more books in the series. But did it keep me on my toes? Nope. Did it have me dying to read the next page? Nope. Did I feel any of the emotional ups-and-downs of reading a good book? Not once.

Why is that? Well, Dead as a Doornail is a bog-standard mystery with vampires and werewolves thrown in. Problem was that this particular mystery had no bite to it. By the time of the big reveal, my sole reaction was "huh". Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Alongside the mystery was Sookie's ludicrous love life. She has FIVE men chasing after her in this book - three of whom she kisses in this short book. Oh, and as if those five weren't enough, Love Interest #6 makes his debut at the end of the novel. Seriously? I mean, if I were taking these books seriously (thank God I'm not) I would be quite pissed off by this flip-flopping.

Bottom line? This is an enjoyable series, but Dead as a Doornail is far from brilliant. If you don't take the plot too seriously, you'll probably enjoy it.