darlingbooks

darlingbooks

If I Die

If I Die  - Rachel Vincent If I Die was my favourite Soul Screamers novel, hands down. Rachel Vincent resolved all my complaints, "beat my head against the wall" feelings, and shoot-Nash-in-the-face desires in one tidy little novel. How? Well, she gave Kaylee a gigantic wake-up call in the form of imminent death. *grins* Oh, the joy.

OK, I realise that makes me sound rather evil. But let me put it this way: when a character literally has no reason to hold herself back, she has the chance to let out her true self. And the "true" Kaylee? She's rather brilliant. You see, finding out she is about to die frees Kaylee... it frees her from Nash, from her father, from her schoolmates, and - most importantly - from herself. So when I say "finding out she is about to die is the best thing that ever happened to Kaylee", I really do mean it in the very best of ways.

Now, other than telling you that open-eyes!Kaylee is featured in If I Die, I can't really say much more without spoiling the book for you. In short: the villain was horrifically genius, Tod was swoon-worthily brilliant, Nash was ludicrously screwed-up, Kaylee's Dad was adorably protective, and Sabine was, well... Sabine. *sighs happily*

Bottom line? It is worth reading the first 4 books of the Soul Screamers series just to read If I Die. Seriously. Hell, just consider the first 4 books a very, very long prologue.