darlingbooks

darlingbooks

Perfect Scoundrels

Perfect Scoundrels - Ally Carter Perfect Scoundrels is very nearly perfect - which is still ruddy brilliant.

One of my main issues with the Heist Society series (up till now) had been that there was not enough character development on the Hale side. To be honest, I still hadn't quite forgiven him for getting Kat kicked out of boarding school in Chapter 1 of Heist Society (I hold a long grudge). But in Perfect Scoundrels we get Hale back story, front story and side story - it's Hale-a-palooza. And finally I can say that not only do I forgive Hale for the aforementioned Chapter 1 incident, I also rather like him!

Now, along with the Hale-a-palooza, Perfect Scoundrels is still very much a Kat story. She doesn't have Hale to rely on and every single decision she makes affects him somehow: not easy to choose what is right when it hurts someone you care about.

As for the cons, the heists and whatnot, some of my favourites yet were pulled in Perfect Scoundrels. Heirs returned from the dead, documents were hidden in secret drawers and honest-to-God death-defying stunts were pulled. There was one (which I don't want to spoil you for) that was slightly obvious, but the rest were just as brilliant as I've come to expect from Ally. A-mazing.

On one last character note, I was surprised by how happy I was to see Marcus developed in Perfect Scoundrels. As Hale's man-servant/butler/back-up, he's been part of the team since the first book and yet we hardly ever heard a peep out of him. I didn't know I wanted to know more until Ally Carter suddenly delivered it. Now? I would devour a novella from his POV (in case anyone is listening!).

Bottom line? I've loved every one of the Heist Society books - but if you put thought Uncommon Criminals wasn't quite what you were hoping for, then Perfect Scoundrels will be your come-back book. Pick it up!  you'll be wanting to pick it back up now. Ever

Note to those of you who think this is the last book in a trilogy: It's not. Don't believe me? Ally confirmed it when I interviewed her. Can anyone else say YAY?